Selected as: “Best Interior Design; Best Communication Project; Best Graphic Design” by Simone Micheli Architects Hero.
The concept of interior design communicates the spirit and the character of the cave and people that lived in it. A connection between past and present. Inspired by Allegory of Cave by Socrates where people on cave watched shadows projected on the wall from objects passing in front of a fire behind them, and give names to these mystery shadows. In this interior the black color symbolize the past, the mystery, the unknown that surrounded our ancestors for years. Blacks gives deep, dark value to the set-off neutrals, sharpens and adds richness to other colors placed next to it while creating dramatic and theatrical settings. And the present is presented by the style, furniture ergonomic, comfort and function that have become more important to humans nowadays.
INTERIOR DESIGN SOLUTION:
• Respect the architecture and the cave
• Free standing furniture easy to place within a room, and flexible as it can be re-positioned
• Floor spot lights to not touch the cave wall or ceiling, a lighting schemes that creates drama and interest by employing light and shade.
• Ergonomic Design about an everyday action and the effort needed to perform a task
• Sustainable materials use by some of the best companies on product design in Italy such as: Barel, Axolight, Simas, Abet Laminati, Rubinetti Fiorentini, Bruno Parquet, Novellini, Eterne Ivica.
“Shadow Cave Luxury Hotel & Spa” is located in the Southern Italy, in a city called Matera. The town is the capital of the province of Matera and lies in a small canyon carved out by the Gravina River.
Matera city is also known as “the underground city”. Its historical centre “Sassi” contains one of the oldest inhabited settlements in the world: The Ancient Cave Dwellings.
AREA: 5000.0 m²
SUITE NR.3 : 45,3 m²
By Ana DYRMO